Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It helps set your metabolism, providing your brain and body the energy it needs to get through the day. Mason jar meals are a great way to save time in the morning, and they also make it easy to transport your meal to work or school. Here is a delicious oat recipe I call Overnight Oats
Makes 1 large serving
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (not quick cooking)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup milk (prefer almond, coconut or any type of organic regular milk)
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1/2 cup berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries)
- 1/3 cup of nuts
- Mix all ingredients (except cinnamon) into a mason jar or bowl, cover with a lid or plastic wrap, and allow the mixture to sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy! (Can heat up or eat cold)
Healthy side note: Studies have shown there are many health benefits associated with cinnamon. Using ½ teaspoon a day can lower your bad cholesterol (or LDL’s), lower blood sugar levels and increase insulin production in the body. It also helps to inhibit bacterial growth in the food we add it to, so it’s a natural food preservative. Give your food a sprinkle!
Tammy Schienke is a Certified Health Counselor, as well as a Regional Sales Manager in the wellness industry. Becoming a Health Counselor was a critical first step in her personal journey to find balance in a busy world. She enjoys sharing her knowledge with others, to help them make steps toward a healthier life. Tammy received her training at The Institute of Integrative Nutrition in New York City. She is certified by the AADP, Teacher’s College Columbia University and holds a BA in Communications and Psychology.