Easy and Delicious Eggplant Burger
by Linda Baldwin | October 18, 2015 10:35 pm
This eggplant burger is a quick, easy and delicious treat that will please everyone!
• 2 large eggplants, peeled and cubed cooked and pulsed in food processor.
• 2 Tbs. of a high heat oil, like sunflower, walnut or coconut
• 1 shallot, finely minced
• 1 cup vegan cheese shreds, any flavor (IG’s favorite for this is mozzarella)
• 1 tsp of minced garlic
• 1⁄2 tsp. Kosher salt
• 1⁄4 tsp. black pepper
• 1 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
• 1 cup of TVP (textured vegetable protein)
• 1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs ( we toast bob’s red mill oatmeal, put it in the food processor and toss with Italian seasoning, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic + onion powder) this is for coating at thevend.
• 1 cup vegan cheese, either slices or shreds (as long as it melts) • 4 gluten-free buns of your choice or GF english muffins
• 4 slices beefsteak tomato
• 4 leaves romaine lettuce
• 4 slices red onion
• Horseradish Mustard Mayonnaise (recipe above)
Horseradish Mustard “Mayo”
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise (IG makes ours with cashews, lemon juice + a pinch of salt + agave (op- tional) to taste) you can also use a purchased vegannise
- 2 Tabs. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. shaved horseradish root or 2 Tabs. jarred horseradish
- A pinch of dried thyme
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Whisk all ingredients together and place in air tight container for 30 minutes before using.
- Peel Eggplant and cut into 1X 1 inch cubes, Toss your eggplant cubes in a little oil with salt and pep- per place in oven proof dish covered and roast 15 – 20 minutes until they are soft and browned. Stir 1/2 way through the roasting.
- Allow the eggplant to cool for 5 minutes then add to the food processor and pulse multiple times until the eggplant all comes together. Turn the eggplant mixture out into a bowl and add the shallot, cheese, garlic, salt, pepper, 1/2 the TVP and parsley. Mix it into the eggplant. Add 1/2 cup of your TVP mix and then slowly add the additional 1/4 cup at a time until you get a mixture that begins to feel firm and will form a burger.
- Divide your eggplant mixture into 8 equal parts form into burgers place each burger in the GF bread crumbs and coat well on each side. Place burgers on parchment or a split and refrigerator for 30 minutes before sautéing.
- In a heavy skillet over medium high heat carefully slide your burgers into the hot oil and cook for 3 -4 minutes on one side before flipping. To flip the burger gently loosen from the pan with a rubber spatula and carefully flip the burger do this for each burger and allow to finish cooking about an- other 4 minutes .
Chef Note: We used a Teflon coated pan and sautéed in sunflower oil. They didn’t stick at all. Allow the burgers to get a nice crust on the first side before trying to flip.
Photo courtesy of Intelligent Gourmet
Source URL: https://yogadigest.com/easy-and-delicious-eggplant-burger/
Copyright ©2021 Yoga Digest unless otherwise noted.