by Yoga Digest | September 16, 2014 3:54 am
“Nava” means boat, and “asana” means pose. Boat pose has the reputation of being a challenging pose and with good reason! It requires great coordination between the upper and lower body. Boat pose automatically brings the mind into the present moment, therefore increasing focus and concentration. This pose fully encompasses the mind body connection.
1. Start in a seated position with legs extended out in front of you.
2. Bend the knees and press the feet into the mat as you lengthen the spine and place your hands on the back of the thighs or hamstrings.
3. Shift your body weight back to root the spine, keeping length all the way through the crown.
4. Lift one foot at a time off the mat until you feel balanced enough to take the hands away from the legs.
5. Straighten the legs and extend the arms for a full expression of this pose and hold for 5 deep breaths in and out of the nose. (You can always modify with knees bent.)
1. Tones and strengthens your abdominal muscles
2. Strengthens your spine and hip flexors
3. Improves balance and digestion
4. Stretches your hamstrings
5. Stimulates the kidneys, thyroid and prostate glands, and intestines
6. Increases focus and concentration
Now you’ve mastered boat pose! Next time your teacher throws out boat pose, jump right in and feel the amazing benefits!
Photo – shutterstock.com
Source URL: https://yogadigest.com/boat-pose/
Copyright ©2021 Yoga Digest unless otherwise noted.