Vegan “Cream” of Broccoli Soup Recipe
by Jenn Bodnar | April 3, 2016 2:46 am
Soup is a quick, hot meal that offers plenty of health benefits. The healthiest soups include fresh, low fat and nutrient dense ingredients. Broccoli known for it’s cancer fighting, cholesterol reducing, heart healthy and antioxidant benefits makes for a great base for your soup recipes.
Try this simple “Cream” of Broccoli Soup recipe that is completely dairy free. It’s satisfying and most importantly, quick and easy!
- 3 bunches of organic broccoli densely chopped
- 1 red organic onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4-1/2 cup organic flour (can also be prepared with a gluten free flour like brown rice)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 cups organic vegetable broth
- salt, pepper, cayenne
- Steam broccoli in steamer for 8-10 minutes until tender, remove 1/2 cup and chop coarsely, set aside
- In a large sauce pan or stock pot, saute onion and garlic until tender.
- Add one cup of broth to onion mixture and bring to a boil to reduce liquid.
- In a separate bowl, whisk coconut milk and flour until smooth.
- Add flour mixture to onion and broth. It will thicken quickly.
- Gradually whisk in remaining broth until desired soup like consistency is achieved.
- Add remaining steamed broccoli to broth/onion mixture.
- Blend soup mixture in a blender until all ingredients are smooth.
- Pour mixture back in stock pot and add coursely chopped broccoli, salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Source URL: http://yogadigest.com/vegan-cream-broccoli-soup-recipe/
Copyright ©2018 Yoga Digest unless otherwise noted.