Butternut Squash Jalapeño Soup w/ Lemon & Avocado (Oil and Salt-free)
· 1 large butternut squash (about 6 cups), diced in ½” cubes
· 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth or water
· ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
· 1 small onion, diced
· 1 leek, halved and sliced
· 2 tsp crushed garlic
· 2 celery stalks, sliced small
· 2-3 jalapeños, deseeded, ribs removed and sliced*
· ½ tsp cumin
· ¼ tsp chili powder
· ¼ tsp dried oregano
· Healthy Green Salt Substitute and black pepper to taste
· Juice of ½-3/4 medium lemon, to taste
· 3 tbsp fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
· 1 avocado, diced
1. Sauté the onion, leek and celery in water in a large soup pot until translucent, about 5 mins. Add in the garlic and cook for another new minutes, until it is fragrant.
2. Add in the remaining ingredients (except for the lemon juice and cilantro) and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, lower to a simmer and cover for 30-40 mins or until the squash is fork tender.
3. Cool for 10 mins, then place into a high speed blender with the lemon juice (in 3 batches) and run until smooth. Add in the cilantro and pulse until it is mixed through.
4. Serve topped with jalapeño, cilantro and avocado.
Add more or less jalapeño as desired.
The Sweet Simple Vegan, Jasmine Briones, has dedicated her life to inspiring others to choose health. Jasmine is a Los Angeles based nutrition student + plant-based wellness and lifestyle blogger that works through her website and social media outlets to promote optimal health through nutrition, fitness and most importantly, self-love.